COVID-19 has been declared a national emergency in the U.S. Many patients are asking what they can do besides frequent handwashing and social distancing. Chinese Herbal Medicine has been used for centuries and as recently as SARS, to prevent infectious diseases. For more details on the scientific evidence see
I recommend supporting the immune system. A strong immune system is fundamental to both protecting against and overcoming any infection, including the coronavirus.
Here are my recommendations for strengthening the immune system and protecting yourself against the coronavirus:
- Take an herbal supplement that supports the immune system. Immune Booster is an excellent, all- natural herbal blend that contains astragalus root, an herb known for enhancing immune function. To purchase Immune Booster, follow this link.
- Wear appropriate clothing to keep the body comfortably warm. When the body gets chilled, the immune system is weakened.
- Eat a warm, balanced breakfast that includes vegetables, fresh protein, and carbohydrates to power you and your immune system throughout the day.
- Wash your hands before eating and before touching your face to prevent the coronavirus from entering through the portals of the head.
- Exercise daily to the point you feel vibrant but not to exhaustion. Mild to moderate exercise improves both blood and lymphatic circulations, which transport your immune cells.
- Blow dry your hair instead of letting it air dry.
- Shower when you get home from an outing.
- Rest when you feel tired. When you are tired, so is your immune system.
- Get to bed by 11 pm at the latest and sleep soundly through the night so that all systems can recover from the day’s activities.
If you have a strong immune system, even if you become infected, your body will eventually overcome the corona virus and you will recover. If you have a weak immune system and get infected, the corona virus will overwhelm the body as seen in the elderly population which has the highest fatality rate from COVID-19. Our best defense is to fortify our immune system.
Dr. Patricia Nguyen graduated from Amherst College with a B.A. in Asian Languages and Civilizations before completing the Master of Science in Traditional Oriental Medicine and the Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine degrees at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine. In 2013 she received the Golden Flower Award for excellence in herbal medicine. She is board certified by state and national standards and is in private practice in Newport Beach, CA.